WELCOME TO BODIJA MARKET!

Today was fantabulous and coke-bulous at the same time! Even though this was a last minute tour, I still had fun and hopefully, you will experience Bodija Market like I did just that yours will be without the very hot and scorching sun. Sometimes I just wonder if the sun has actually kissed the earth because I no understand this kind hotness wey sama everywhere. Nonetheless, I was able to achieve my aim. As usual, sit back, relax, sip some lemonade and enjoy the post!


      MY JOURNEY TO BODIJA MARKET

I took a bike from Agbowo (if you've read past posts, you should be familiar with agbowo by now) down to bodija. The bike man collected...how much did the man even collect again?...oh! N50(Fifty Naira). Imagine, the man first called I think N100...say wetin happen?! I changed it for him immediately before he concurred to the actual and normal price. Something that suppose to be N30(Thirty Naira) sef. Agbowo to Bodija is just a stone throw. Anyway, man must chop and feed his family...so I understand.
          (The guy in white is my friend, padi, one of my bestie, okafor. I call him okakirikafor!)

(Meanwhile, Indomie was doing some stuff. I really don't know what they were doing but they were just dancing kaakiri and playing loud music)
                                              (Can you see the bike man's head...helmet?)
                                                                      Bodija in view!
                                                

                                And we are at bodija! About to cross to the other side but just before that...

                INSIDE BODIJA MARKET
You know one thing that trips me? It's the reckless way most Nigerians drive. Seriously! I used to think this was basically done by cab and bus drivers but I tell you, even normal car drivers are very much guilty when it comes to this. I have to look left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right, left, right and left again before running(literally) to the otherside instead of crossing. Cars are supposed to halt for pedestrians to cross but down here and most places I have been to in Lagos, Ogun and even Ibadan, it's all man for himself. They will driving, shinning their eyes as if aiming to just jam you and give you one permanent scar on the leg. If you are reading this and you are guilty of this as well, please go to the nearest mountain from wherever you are and wait there. I wee comman join you to pray for mercy before we finally wash your head in the nearest river...seriously, CHANGE!(Erm, not buhari's change though).
Bodija Market is always filled up...ALWAYS! As if people are cooking every second and constantly rushing to the market to buy something. There is never a dull moment here. The bustle and hustle complemented with the hot sun that can basically turn an albino into instagram's melanin popping girls with caramel topping (or isn't that the new slang, yea?). There were different categories of sellers. From meat sellers...
                                                                   To onion sellers...

There were so many onion sellers in the market today. Are we in onion season or it's just that there is serious money in onion business? There were ponmo(cow skin) sellers too
                                            Groundnut Oil sellers didn't miss road as well.
Last time I bought Groundnut Oil, I think the seller called all these refined ones with labels about N500 or N600. I quickly asked for the local ones without label and it was cheaper. That was the one I ended up buying. Afterall, oil na oil, abih? That's not to say I don't buy the refined and labeled ones. It's just student life things.

The king of the kitchen - Tomatoe - graced the market too.
Tomatoes be looking so fresh, so fine yet I no buy them.

While I was jejely going, one of the mobile meat - sellers called my attention in order for me to patronize but I instead told him I won't buy but I would take pictures. He vexed and decided to leave. I still took pictures anyway.
Looking forward, I realized that I hadn't even started surfing half of the market. Bodija Market is very big and goes deep inside and sideways. You won't believe I almost lost my way!
There were Okra sellers...okra soup used to be my favourite before abula (Ewedu and Gbegiri) soup wooed me and I fell helplessly in love.
There were yams too...hmmm, food inspiration! Yam and Egg things on my mind!
And who still remembers this traditional grinder and grinding stone? My mother used to have it. I don't think she still has it. I remember when my sister and mom would use it to grind pepper when I was much younger and I thought it was very easy to use. So, I decided to try it and I came to the conclusion that it was just another means of punishment. Your back and hand will tell the best story if you ever used it.
There were stalls too...incase you want to buy beverages, toilet rolls, tomatoe paste and also supermarket - like extras.
And then, the cereal sellers...rice, beans, millet, corn etc
The Crayfish sellers too...I love crayfish!!!!! I put it in almost everything I cook.
The market extends further and farther. The moi - moi leaves sellers came all set. I think they use the same leaves for Ofada rice...I'm not so sure sha.
There were more yams. Here, the seller confronted me on why I was snapping his market and I had to start explaining from Genesis. I sha priced the yams as if I was going to buy it...iffa hear. Some were N700, some were N1500 and the biggest sizes were N2500.
I was very suprised that the load carriers didn't come to disturb me today. Other days, the small children who are load carriers and are probably in secondary school would come and be begging me so that they can carry my load. One even approached me before I started buying. Even when I refuse, they will still be begging me...ahan! Izzit not my load? I actually understand that they are doing it to just find a little money to survive. Many of them depend on this income and might have strict parents who would give them targets. I haven't done it before but I think next time, I will just dash them some cash without them carrying my load.
There was Elubo(I think it's yam flour in English) too. It's grinded to powdery form and used to make my favourite - Amala! I'm craving for it already.

As we dey so, we never still reach half of the market o. There were two trailers in sight. One was fully loaded with yams. Some men were in it throwing yams down to some other men that were catching and loading them in wheel barrows. The other trailer was also filled up with sacks but I couldn't guess the content.


And the hawkers too...food hawkers, glasses hawkers (our hausas have been providing us quality glasses since forever. Tell all those celebrities to stop wasting millions on glasses when Mallam Ibrahim or is it Idris sells more quality ones) etc.

The ungrinded dry pepper. Have you used it in your akara(beans cake) before? It's amazing!
Alas! I reached the end of the market which was leading to another part of Ibadan. Rather than turn back, I swerved to the right where some steps were leading to other steps.



 There were a lot of cereal sellers in the mid - section.
 And the girl preparing to hawk oranges while her mother (supposedly) slept.

 The under - age baby girl hawking some oranges confidently. I absolutely do not support this. Child hawkers should be stopped. Haba! What does she know yet? But now, she will know a lot with the kind of exposure she's getting.



Another child hawker in school uniform hawking purses under the hot sun. Mummy, bhet why? I almost lost my way but I was able to retrace my steps when I saw one of the trucks I saw before.
However, the place was tight. I don't think it's the same truck. We had to squeeze ourselves to pass.

 Efo(Vegetable) sellers and their locally made wide hats...very good for sunny days!
 More tomatoes and round fish...perfect for the perfect stew!
                                                        Passers-by surveying the market
And a health centre within the market. That's very good! Incase someone faints from the very hot sun. Much needed!

Brooms Sellers...

Cloth Sellers... Clothes sold at very cheap prices! You go wear am, wear am and even dash others.
  More cloth sellers...they really mean serious business!
 For your plastic plates, spoons, etc, make sure you go directly to this woman's stall.
 Bargaining at it's peak between a seller and a buyer.
 Locally made groundnut oil for president!
Finally, I found those trucks again!
My experience at Bodija Market was one of a kind. Enjoy exclusive pictures below!




































 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
 Bodija Market is one of the biggest markets in Ibadan. You can get absolutely anything and everything you want (food - wise) from the market. There is a section where Igbo people sell their Igbo ingredients and there are Hausas as well which makes the market open to all and sundry. Simply make sure you come with a wide hat if it's a sunny day or a big umbrella if it's a rainy day. Thinking of buying foodstuffs and then leaving for somewhere else to get clothes, glasses etc? Bodija Market has got you covered already. What about if you quickly want to do a health checkup while you are shopping? Bodija Market has got you covered. So what are you waiting for? Your next shopping should be at Bodija Market if you are in Ibadan. I also reccommend the place to everyone who would be spending their December holiday in Ibadan or their work leave in Ibadan. Thank me later!😀


ESTIMATED MONEY YOU WILL NEED WHEN VISITING BODIJA MARKET - N5000 (This is student price o. Nevertheless, it is still a generalised price if you have the spirit of bargaining invested in you)

Phone Credit - Myself and a lady I met a boutique

Phone Used - My Tecno P5 (Ah don believe eet! working wonders!)

Unnecessary Information - I visited Aerdrome Estate at Bodija today and just like Ibadan Golf Club, I need to write a letter before I can be granted access to review the place. Waris all dis nah?

Thanks for reading!😁💗 

EMETE 
















12 comments:

  1. wow! How do you do these things? I actually felt like I was inside bodija market. Nice one, Emete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Jacob, lol...that's the essence of the blog. I'm glad you experienced it. Thanks for stopping by. Do check back!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome. Great insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @yemiy, thanks a lot. Thanks for stopping by. Do check back!

      Delete
  3. I also visited the market recently and truly, the prices have skyrocketed. That's what we get for voting in CHANGE. Good review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @bello, like seriously o. Things are now very expensive. Lol...God will bring to us the positive change we need. Thanks for stopping by. Do check back!

      Delete
  4. Great post. Loveeet. You got the essence of Bodija very very well. The crowd, the food, the insult, bustle etc.
    How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bisola, lol...abih? I'm good, dearie. Thanks for stopping by. Do check back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I love what you're doing dear. Welldone. So, I hate going to Bodija market with my mum. Even if I had just eaten, I'd still get very hungry in the market and dizzy. There was a time I had to look for a shop to sit in when I almost fainted. It's always choking eh. Maybe the supermarket life is what I'm made for? Lol. Nice review. xx
    The Confident Woman: Joyce Meyer
    www.laitanbee.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. @olaa bobade, lmao...you are indeed made for the supermarket life o. Thanks though. Thanks for stopping by. Do check back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice; keep it up! Oh by the way, unrefined oil is healthier, so feel good about getting it! When it's refined, it loses its nutrients-- bad for the body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @anonymous, unrefined oil is healthier?????wow! This is a new one for me. Thanks for tipping me and thanks for stopping by. Do check back!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.