LIFE UPDATE 002: COMPARING THE COST OF LIVING IN IBADAN AND LAGOS



Yesterday, my mom made a statement


'Things will be very cheap in Ibadan'

We were discussing something and that was what prompted the remark. In case you don't know, I'm also from Ibadan. Dad is from delta and Mom is from Ibadan. So, I'm half breed. Quite cool right? Not so cool sometimes. Anyway, I've mentioned on the blog a couple of times that Ibadan is quite an expensive city unlike what some people think. Let me give you a list of the things I think are expensive in Ibadan

TRANSPORTATION - I know you might be wondering but hey, I don't see the difference between the transportation in Ibadan and Lagos. Berger to Omole Estate in Lagos is N50. Berger to Ikeja in Lagos is N150. Agbowo to Bodija in Ibadan is N50(Bike). Agbowo to Dugbe is N150/200. When I first came to Ibadan, the bike man charged me N300. Now, my negotiation game is top notch.

FOOD - One wrap of swallow is N50. In other places like Ose Olohun, one wrap of swallow is N100. Terrific! Meat is N50. In most places, meat is N100. Ogufe is N150. In some places, ogufe is N200/300.

RELATEDMY AMALA EXPERIENCE AT OSE OLOHUN AND IYA ABULA

CLOTH - Chineke! This one is worse! My sis bought one jean gown from balogun market in Lagos for like N4000. When I went to preboyes in Ibadan, I saw that same gown and it was priced for N8000. Excessively outrageous! The only place I can get something cheap that is close to me is at Dugbe market. Remember that gown I wore on my birthday? I bought it at Dugbe market for just N1000. How cheap!

RELATEDMY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION + AN APOLOGY

GADGETS - This includes laptops, phones, chargers etc. My mom traveled to Dubai late last year and when she arrived, she bought a Samsung S7 edge and when we converted the amount to Naira, it was about N150,000. Okay. I arrived Lagos and priced it at slot. It was around N250,000. So, my dad got his own. When I returned back to Ibadan, I found myself again at slot to do something and saw the same Samsung S7 edge sitting pretty there and when I priced it, it was N300,000. I was like

'In Ibadan?'

WATER - I'm currently out of Ibadan to visit home. We drink bottled water or sachet water at home. Do you know one bag of sachet water is N100 here? In Ibadan, back in school, I do buy it for N170. Incredible.

HOUSING - The last time my parents visited Ibadan, we saw a new estate and my dad suggested that they could buy a new house in Ibadan in case they want to rest. When we priced the house, it was N80 million.

HAIR - I recently did my hair which you can see in the picture above and it was for N2000 including attachment around Lagos. In Ibadan, I told my hairdresser about a hairstyle I wanted to do and she called it N5000 plus the attachment. You should know by now that I'm a master in picking race.

The list is still quite long. When I interviewed Folarin of F and K savings, he mentioned that Ibadan has a low cost of living. I wanted to correct that. That used to be in the past. Things are pretty expensive in Ibadan right now. The only cheap thing I know in Ibadan is

RELATEDDISCOVERED! THE TWO YOUNG MEN WHO ARE GRADUALLY BUILDING A WORLD CLASS EMPIRE

VENTURA -  At least, I can see a movie for N600. In Lagos, you can't try it.

RENT - In Ibadan, you can rent a one room for N20,000 for an entire year. I'm very serious. In Lagos, don't even bother.

BUSINESS - Starting a business in Ibadan is relatively cheaper than starting a business in Lagos.

WEDDING - Getting married in Ibadan is by far, cheaper than getting married in Lagos. If you read my post on the dramatic traditional wedding I attended, you will be able to understand how cheap wedding is in Ibadan.

RELATEDTHE DRAMATIC TRADITIONAL WEDDING I ATTENDED

MAKEUP - You can do a good face beat for N1000. The makeup I did for the wedding I attended was just N1000. In Lagos, the least you can do is N5000 except the person is your relative.



HOUSE HELP - I had a house help friend from Togo and her boss paid her family about N80,000 for her service for a year which includes beating her when she thought she was trying to seduce her husband. Well, I think its the same everywhere. You can actually still get a house help for N40,000 in Ibadan for a full year.

Now, do Ibadan pay well salary - wise? I've been getting series of emails concerning this topic and someone even asked me to help him look for a job. The fact that I run an Ibadan blog doesn't mean I employ people in Ibadan. Lol. Well, let's compare prices.

SALES GIRL - Or shop keeper or shop manager, anyhow you choose to tushen the name. We all know it is called sales girl or boy. In Ibadan, you can be paid N6000 - N15,000 as a sales girl in shops like pharmacy, boutique etc. But in a supermarket, you can be paid N20,000.

TEACHER - In schools, you can be paid N15,000 - N35,000 as a teacher in normal schools. But in big schools like the ones I listed in my top 10, you can be paid as much as N30,000 - N80,000.

RELATED10 TOP PRIVATE SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN IBADAN

BANKS - I have lot of friends who are bankers in Ibadan. From what they have told me, salaries in banks here in Ibadan starts from N50,000 - N80,000. This salary is for people just starting. Perhaps as you get promoted, you can be earning more.

OFFICES - This includes secretaries, accountants, clerks etc. The salary range starts from N30,000/35,000 - N60,000/65,000

EMPLOYEE - This covers any other work you can get in Ibadan. The salary range starts from N15,000 - N100,000. This depends on your negotiation with your boss.

So, I hope the list above helps anyone planning to relocate to Ibadan and is thinking of the salary range. What of those planning to start businesses? Like I told you, its far cheaper to start a business in Ibadan than Lagos. Let's do a little analysis.

OFFICE SPACE - This depends on where you want your shop or office space to be. You can get a space for N20,000 - N100,000. This depends on the location and your negotiation with your landlord. It can be per annum, 6 months or monthly, even years.

FURNITURE - At least, you should have a table and chair to start with irrespective of whatever business you plan on starting. You can get good furniture for N15,000 - N35,000.

CONVENIENCE - This includes anything that can keep you comfortable while at work like fans, bulbs, television. This shouldn't be more than N40,000 - N80,000. It all depends on the brand and quality.

OTHER COSTS - This depends on you and the kind of business you are planning to start. You alone know how much it would cost you to kick start.

What about living? I did a list on the top 5 places to live in Ibadan but still, some people aren't satisfied and want to know exactly how much it costs to start living in Ibadan. Let's analyse.

RELATEDTOP 5 PLACES TO LIVE IN IBADAN + CONVENIENCE TIPS

HOUSING - If you would be renting, you can get a good house for N150,000 - N250,000 and this is for married couples. For the bachelors and spinsters, perhaps, N60,000 - N150,000 can cover it. For students, N20,000 - N60,000 is enough. If you want a land, you can get it from N500,000 - N5million or whichever price the owner calls. If you want to buy a house, the least you can see is N1.2million and it would be a flat with perhaps one or two rooms.

SOCIAL LIFE - At least, you would want to hang out or carry your family out, for a personal outing, about N5,000 would come in handy. For a family outing, N10,000 - N20,000.

RELATEDTOP 5 PLACES TO CHILL IN IBADAN

Once the housing is settled, you can then plan whatever you will buy in the house.

Living in Ibadan is quite expensive but at the same time, could be quite cheap in some aspects concerned to other areas. I hope this list helps as many people that are considering relocating to Ibadan.

EMETE

2 comments:

  1. Great list! this is exactly what i needed. I visited your blog at the right time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it came in handy dear. Do visit more often!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.